Friday, July 20, 2012

The Daily 5 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 is all about the foundational principles of Daily 5:

1  Trust...The Sisters talk about building trust with our students and taking time to show we care.  That's why we teach, but sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the lessons.  By teaching, modeling and practicing behaviors our students can be independent learners.  When we trust our students to be independent learners we can teach our guided reading groups. 

2  Choice...The students in my class love choosing where & how they work during Daily 5.  I allow them to make their choices as long as they work their way through all the Daily 5 activities.  What I need to work on is having students ask themselves what their goals are and then plan their day using the questions on page 20.  I love the posters all the bloggers made for Getting Started.  This has just been added to my to do list.  I'll work on posting one soon.

Purpose + Choice = Motivation

3  Community...I love how every year my class is unique.  They come together with their different personalities and experience and always blow me away. 

4  Sense of Urgency...Prior to Daily 5 did I ever tell my students why we read???  It makes sense.  Urgency comes from understanding that reading everyday will help you become a better reader.

5  Stamina...The Sisters compare building stamina for reading to building stamina for exercise.  What an awesome analogy.  For the past 3 years I have used a plain old graph to chart my class' stamina and it is a great motivator.  I may have to change this year and use the thermometer on Teaching with Style.  I love this idea.  Check out the link to download the stamina graph.
Teaching with Style
6  Stay Out Of The Way...Okay, this makes sense.  If I'm not going to walk around the room checking in all year I shouldn't do it in the beginning.

Looking forward to chapter 3!

0 comments:

Post a Comment